Sloppy Joes are such a great comfort food. And this Tex-Mex twist on them is just wonderful!
I’ve been cooking from Gooseberry Patch‘s “101 Super-Easy Slow-Cooker Recipes”. I’ve been loving this cookbook. True to its name, these recipes are definitely super-easy! Farmer Doc has been loving it, too. It means that even with a baby in the house we’ve had hot, home-cooked meals more often than not. (Slow-cooker to the rescue!)
I’m giving away a copy of this cookbook right now! Just head on over here and leave a comment to enter for your chance to win! (And trust me, you want to win this cookbook!)
If your family likes sloppy Joes and tacos, this will be a big hit! Serve them up in hot dog buns (for a tiny bit less mess than the traditional hamburger buns). Eat them plain or top with just cheese like a sloppy Joe, or use your favorite taco toppings. You can’t go wrong!
I added some chopped green bell pepper to the slow-cooker (we had plenty frozen after our prolific garden last summer). And, needless to say, 3 pounds of ground beef and 25 sandwiches are way more than what Farmer Doc and I needed at one time. So I bagged the leftovers and tossed them in the freezer. Ta da, instant “slow-cooked” meal for some other busy night!
Slow-Cooker Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes
- 3 pounds ground beef browned and drained
- 16- ounce can refried beans
- 10- ounce can enchilada sauce
- 1-1/4 oz package taco seasoning mix
- 16- oz jar salsa
- 25 hot dog buns split
- Garnishes - shredded Cheddar cheese shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream
- Place beef in a slow cooker. Stir in beans, enchilada sauce, seasoning mix, and salsa.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 4-6 hours.
- To serve, fill each bun with 1/3 cup beef mixture; garnish as desired.
Free Printable Ground Beef Buyer’s Guide
Have you ever gotten confused at the grocery store when you’re trying to pick out ground beef for tonight’s dinner? We can help! This Ground Beef Buyer’s Guide has everything you need to know about buying ground beef, plus you can download a free printable cheat sheet to keep handy in your kitchen or your purse!
Tools for Cooking with Ground Beef
Every kitchen needs a few basic tools… These are ones that I use all the time when I’m cooking with ground beef!
- 5-Quart Saute Pan
- Mix and Chop
- 6-Quart Slow Cooker
- Instant-Read Digital Thermometer
- Probe-Style Digital Thermometer